Whole Wheat and Carrot Raisin Bran Muffins
You will be a star when you bake these great carrot filled muffins. Eat ‘em with good home made jam or some of Canada’s fabulous cheeses. Use dried cranberries or cherries to replace the raisins, toss in a handful of nuts or even some leftover Christmas mincemeat.
• 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
• ½ cup (125 mL) canola oil
• ¼ cup (60 mL) Crosby’s molasses
• 1 egg
• 1 cup (250 m) buttermilk
• 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
• 1 cup (250 mL) bakers bran
• 2 cups (500 mL) grated carrots
• ½ cup (125 mL) raisins or dried cranberries
• ½ cup (125 mL) diced apple
• 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
• 1 tsp (5 mL) each baking powder & baking soda
In a large mixing bowl, vigorously whisk the sugar, oil, molasses and egg till light in colour. Stir in the buttermilk, vanilla and bakers bran. Add carrots, raisins and diced apple stirring to combine.
Sift or stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Stir into the wet mixture to just combine.
Spoon batter into muffin tins lined with paper baking cups or very well greased. Bake in a preheated 400’F (200’C) oven for 15 – 18 minutes or till well browned.