Spiced Lamb Strips with Mint and Cilantro
Combining savory lamb with cumin, coriander, mint, garlic and tomatoes, this recipe combines the best of traditional North American and Middle Eastern lamb preparations.
- 1 lb (500 g) lamb leg, boned, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) plus 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and cubed
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 whole wheat pitas, warmed
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded lettuce
- 8 black olives, chopped
In medium bowl, add lamb strips. Mix with cumin, coriander, paprika and pepper.
In large non-stick skillet, heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil over medium high heat. Working in batches, sauté lamb strips 4 – 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside. Add 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil to pan and sauté onion for 3-4 minutes or until onion is cooked. Add garlic, tomatoes and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer. Add lamb back to pan.
Add mint and cilantro and toss with meat and vegetables. Divide mixture between four pitas. Garnish with lettuce and black olives.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 254 g.
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.