Gluten-Free Cornbread (White Bean Flour)
To Make Brown Rice Flour Blend: 1 ½ cups brown rice flour, 1 ½ cups potato starch, and 1 cup tapioca flour (also called tapioca starch). Blend thoroughly. Store, tightly closed, in a dark, dry place.
• 1 cup (250 mL) gluten-free cornmeal
• ½ cup (125 mL) white Bean Flour
• 1/3 cup (75 mL) Brown Rice Flour Blend*
• 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
• 2 tsps (10 mL) baking powder
• 1 tsp (5 mL) xanthan gum
• ½ tsp (2 mL) table salt
• 1/8 tsp (dash) baking soda
• 2 large eggs, room temperature
• 1 cup (250 mL) milk of choice, room temperature
• ½ cup (125 mL) melted butter or margarine, unsalted
Place rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Generously grease an 8-inch square nonstick metal pan.
In medium mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, white bean flour, rice flour blend, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and baking soda until well blended. Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat in eggs, milk, and butter until the batter thickens slightly, about 30 seconds.
Spread the batter evenly in pan. Let stand 10 minutes.
Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of bread comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool bread in a pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove bread from the pan and cool another 15 minutes on the wire rack. Cut into 9 squares and serve slightly warm.
Makes 9 servings.