Packed with flax seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, these irresistible rolls have a slight nutty flavour. No harvest supper is complete without them!
- 1-1/4 cups skim milk (300 mL)
- 2 Tbsp honey (30 mL)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1/4 cup water (60 mL)
- 1 Tbsp rapid rise yeast (15 mL)
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour (425 mL)
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed (30 mL)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
- 2 Tbsp chopped unsalted sunflower seeds (30 mL
- 2 Tbsp chopped unsalted pumpkin seeds (30 mL)
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp water (15 mL)
- In a small saucepan over medium low, heat milk, honey, canola oil, salt and ¼ cup (60 mL) water to lukewarm. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast, whole wheat flour, ground flax, half of the all purpose flour, half of the sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Add liquid ingredients and enough of the remaining all purpose flour to form a soft dough. Knead on a floured surface for about 6 minutes. Cover dough with plastic wrap and allow it to rest about 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 and shape into equal sized balls. Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand. Whisk egg white with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) water and brush on top of the rolls. Sprinkle with remaining sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 50 – 60 minutes.
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and the buns sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Transfer to a rack and let cool.
Serving Size 1 bun; Servings 12; Calories 200; Total Fat 4.5 g; Saturated Fat 0 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 210 mg; Carbohydrates 33 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 7 g;
This recipe is courtesy of our friends, Canola Eat Well for Life.