- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) red lentils
- 1 cup (250 mL) black or green lentils
- 1 oz (25 g) rosemary, thyme and oregano finely chopped
- 3-4 cups (750 mL-1 L) chicken stock
- 4 oz (100 g) parmesan, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) heavy cream, optional
Sweat the onions, carrot, celery and garlic in oil until tender.*
Add the lentils, stir well for two minutes.
Add a pinch of salt and pepper, and the rosemary, thyme and oregano.
Add stock a little at a time so the lentils can slowly absorb the liquid. Or, you can add all the stock, and put on a low simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are tender.
For a richer risotto finish by stirring in cream, simmer for 5 minutes, then add the parmesan and serve.
*Sweating is cooking the vegetables over low heat in oil, in a covered pan, so that they soften and cook in their own juices without browning.
Recipe courtesy of Canadian Lentils.