Deep, Dark and Stout Chili
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 1/2 lb/750 g extra lean ground beef (or 1 lb/500 g extra lean ground beef and 15-oz/426 mL can kidney beans, rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced green bell peppers
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced red onion
- 3 cans (14.5 oz/412 mL each) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 1 bottle (12 oz/341 mL) dark stout beer
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (20 mL) ground cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (20 mL) smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sodium-free beef bouillon granules
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium lime, cut into six wedges
Heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in two batches, brown beef, about 3-4 minutes per batch, stirring frequently.
Meanwhile, in a sauté pan heat remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil and cook bell peppers and onions 4 minutes or until onions are soft, stirring frequently. Stir into cooked beef. Add stewed tomatoes, beer, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and bouillon. Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in salt.
Serve chili with choice of toppings placed in three small bowls.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) chili.
Cook’s note: Like most chili recipes, the flavors are more blended if the chili is served the next day. This dish freezes well, too.
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.