Sweet Potato and Curried Red Lentil Pizza
A high protein, utterly delicious new way of making a pizza.
- ¾ cup (180 mL) dry red lentils
- 1½ (375 mL) cups water
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ small eggplant, diced
- 1 lb (500 g) sweet potato, cubed
- 1 can (28 oz – 796 mL) Italian Style diced tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1½ (7 mL) tsp curry powder
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (12 inch) thin prebaked whole wheat pizza crust
- ¼ cup (60 mL) grated Romano cheese
Combine the lentils and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray a pizza pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic and onion; cook until soft and slightly browned. Stir in eggplant and sweet potato. Pour about ½ cup of liquid from canned tomatoes. Simmer until juices are absorbed.
Stir in tomatoes, ginger, curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper; simmer until sweet potato begins to soften, about 15 to 20 minutes. (If juices cook off before potatoes are fully cooked, stir in a small amount of water, and cover.)
Place pizza crust on pizza pan. Spread the lentils evenly across the surface of the crust out to the edges. Spread sweet potato mixture evenly on top, and sprinkle with cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Canadian Lentils.