Lime spiced skewers of chicken – perfect for your next barbecue!
- 3 medium limes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) ground allspice
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- six 12-inch metal or bamboo skewers
- 12 chicken tenders, (1 1/2 lbs/750g total), cut into thirds (36 pieces)
- 2 medium yellow or red onions (8 oz/250 g total), quartered and layers separated (36 layers)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces (36 pieces)
- canola oil cooking spray
In a small bowl, squeeze juice from two limes. Cut remaining lime into 6 wedges. Add canola oil, garlic, ginger, allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, and salt to lime juice. Whisk together. Place chicken in large, resealable plastic bag with half of marinade mixture.
Marinate chicken overnight or for at least 8 hours, turning occasionally
Remove chicken from bag, discarding leftover marinade. Alternating chicken and vegetables, thread 6 skewers, beginning and ending with chicken pieces.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Place skewers on grill rack coated with canola oil cooking spray. Cook 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center, turning frequently. Be careful not to overcook chicken.
Remove from grill, place on serving platter and spoon remaining marinade over all. Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.