Roasted Beet Salad with Feta
We love the addition of sunflower seeds and tart green apple with earthy beets and salty feta cheese. Tip: If removing beet skins leaves you “red-handed”, just rub with sea salt and lemon juice until the beet juice stains are gone. This trick works on wooden cutting boards, too.
- 1 lb small beets trimmed (500 g)
- 1/3 cup canola oil divided (75 mL)
- 8 cups torn leaf lettuce or mesclun mix (2 L)
- 4 oz feta cheese (112 g)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds toasted (125 mL)
- 1 green apple washed, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp lemon juice (10 mL)
- 1 tsp lemon zest (5 mL)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar (10 mL)
- 1 tsp honey (5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard (1 mL)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place beets on foil lined baking sheet and drizzle with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of canola oil.
- Bake beets until tender, about 45-60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Slip off skins. Cut beets into small wedges.
- Divide lettuce, feta cheese, sunflower seeds and apple slices onto 4 serving plates. Surround salad mixture with the beet wedges.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola oil with lemon juice, zest, vinegar, honey and mustard. Drizzle over salads.
Servings 4; Calories 420; Total Fat 32 g; Saturated Fat 4.5 g; Cholesterol 10 mg; Sodium 510 mg; Carbohydrates 27 g; Fibre 7 g; Protein 13 g