Add a pinch of dried red pepper flakes during cooking for added spice.
- canola or olive oil, for cooking
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb. (454 g) lean ground beef or bison
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 – 28 oz. (796 mL) can diced, whole or stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dry red lentils
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ketchup or half ketchup, half barbecue sauce
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 plain soft buns, cheese buns, or plain or cheese biscuits
In a large, heavy skillet set over medium-high heat, heat a drizzle of oil and sauté the onion for 4-5 minutes, until soft; add the beef and garlic and cook for 7-8 minutes, breaking it up with a spoon as you cook, until the meat is no longer pink.
Add the tomatoes, lentils, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, salt and pepper and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and the lentils are tender. Add a little more liquid or water if the mixture seems too dry.
Split buns or biscuits in half and ladle the mixture on top.