Ranchero Beef Steak
Pay homage to the grill with your favourite Canadian beef steak. The sauce in this recipe goes well with any Grilling or Marinating steak — it’s somewhat smoky and spicy and loaded with garden vegetables. If you can’t take the heat, reduce the amount of chipotle pepper by half.
Time: 20 Minutes
Cook: 20 mins
Yields: 4 – 6 Servings
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) sweet onion, cut lengthwise
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) sliced mushrooms, preferably cremini
- 1 sweet bell pepper, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Herbes de Provence or dried thyme
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 canned Chipotle pepper in adobe sauce, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) beer
- 1 lb (0.45 kg) Flank, Top Sirloin or Tri-tip Steak, 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in non-stick pan over medium high heat; cook onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, garlic and herbs for 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften and brown. Add tomatoes and chipotle pepper; cook about 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Stir in tomato sauce, beer and barbecue sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer approximately 15 minutes stirring occasionally or until liquid has reduced to half or third.
Meanwhile, season steak with salt and pepper. Grill over medium high heat approximately 12 minutes, turning at least twice, to medium-rare doneness 145°F(63°C). Let steak rest for 5 minutes. Cut into thin slices, across the grain and serve with the sauce.
Recipe graciously suppled by Canada Beef.