- 1 lb (500 g) Beef Marinating Flank Steak
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 loaf French bread, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) peach or apricot chutney
- Chopped fresh chives, as needed
Use sharp knife to score both sides of steak in diamond pattern; place in shallow glass dish or sealable plastic bag. Combine maple syrup, soy sauce and vinegar; pour over steak. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours. Grill over medium-high heat or broil for 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly carve against the grain into about 30 slices
Melt butter with garlic over low heat; brush over both sides of bread. Place on baking sheets and broil on both sides until just golden. Keep warm. Combine mayonnaise with chutney
Drape steak over toasts. Top with chutney mayonnaise. Garnish with chives.
Makes 30 appetizers.