Lentil & Sweet Potato Stew
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) curry powder
- 2 cups (500 mL) dry green lentils, rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1” cubes
- 9 oz (225 g) frozen cut green beans
- 14.5 oz (360 g) diced tomatoes in juice
- ½ cup (125 mL) cilantro leaves, chopped
- plain low fat yogurt for serving
- coarse salt and black pepper
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, carrots, celery and bay leaf. Cook, stirring until vegetables are softened, five to seven minutes. Add garlic and curry powder and cook until fragrant, about one more minute.
Add 7 cups of water and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add potatoes and continue to cook, covered, until lentils and potato are just tender, about 15 minutes.
Add green beans and tomatoes with juice. Cook until warmed through, two to four minutes. Remove bay leaf. Add cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Serve with yogurt.
Makes 8-10 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Canadian Lentils.