Lentil Carrot Spice Muffins
To Make Lentil Puree: Rinse and drain a 19-ounce can of lentils. Place in food processor, add ¼ cup hot water, and puree until the mixture is very smooth, adding more water in small amounts to reach desired consistency, similar to baby food, about 5 minutes. Scrape down sides of the bowl as needed. Refrigerate or freeze unused lentil puree for your next batch.
• 1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
• 1 cup (250 mL) lentil puree
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup (250 mL) shredded carrots
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
• Pinch salt
• 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
• 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
• 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
• 1 tsp (5 mL) both nutmeg and cinnamon
• 1 cup (125 mL) unbleached flour
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole wheat flour
Preheat oven to 350ºF(180ºC). Spray muffin tin lightly non-stick spray.
Mix both sugars, vanilla, canola oil and eggs in medium bowl until well blended. Add lentil puree and shredded carrots.
In separate bowl, combine flours, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder and nutmeg.
Blend dry ingredients with lentil carrot mixture until fully incorporated.
Pour mix into prepared muffin pan and bake at 350ºF(180ºC) for about 20-25 minutes. Check to see if they are done with a toothpick inserted in centre, if removed clean, they are done.
Remove from oven and let cool in tray for a few minutes, remove and let cool on cooling rack.
Makes 12 muffins.