This vibrant herb pesto is dairy-free and nut-free, almost reminiscent of an Argentinian chimichurri sauce, but with less tang, allowing the herbs to shine! By pulsing the herbs together and not over-mixing, you maintain a vibrant green colour. Use it as a base for a fresh tomato salad or toss it with freshly cooked pasta.
Although pesto normally calls for olive oil, we like to keep it all-Canadian by using local sunflower or camelina oil.
- ¼ cup (60 mL)0 packed fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh chives
- ¼ cup (60 mL) packed basil leaves
- 2 large kale leaves, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground pepper
In a food processor, pulse parsley, chives, basil, kale and garlic until finely chopped.
With machine running, stream in oil, salt and vinegar and pepper, pulsing to combine.
Time: 8 minutes
Makes: 1 1/4 cups (310 mL)
Recipe and Photo by: Chef Cara Tegler, Recipe Developer & Culinary Educator