Few things can top fresh-baked scones bursting with Canadian blueberries.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour (250 mL)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar (45 mL)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (15 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (1 mL)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (10 mL)
- 3/4 cup skim milk (175 mL)
- 1/4 cup canola oil (60 mL)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (250 mL)
- 1 Tbsp 1% milk (15 mL)
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar (15 mL)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside. In second bowl, whisk together lemon juice and skim milk. Let stand for one minute. Add canola oil and egg. Stir until well mixed.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients along with the blueberries and mix just to combine ingredients. Turn dough out onto a floured counter top and knead 3 or 4 times, until dough is formed into a large ball.
- Cut dough in half and pat each ball into a 6 inch (15 cm) circle. Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Brush surfaces with 1% milk and sprinkle with sugar. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for about 15 minutes or until scones are golden brown.
Serving Size: 1 scone; Servings 12; Calories 140; Total Fat 5 g; Saturated Fat 0.5 g; Cholesterol 20 mg; Sodium 190 mg; Carbohydrates 21 g; Fibre 2 g; Protein 4 g
These sweet scones are courtesy of our friends, Canola Eat Well for Life.