Kelowna is a hotbed of culinary talent. Many of the young chefs (seems that youth is a prerequisite) have arrived from across Canada. Because the city is at the heart of the wine industry, it was just a matter of time before a chef with sommelier credentials would land in the valley.
In 2004, Chef/Sommelier Mark Filatow opened his intimate Waterfront Restaurant & Wine Bar. Up till then Mark had honed his culinary skills at some of the most prestigious restaurants in BC including Wickaninnish Inn, Vancouver’s Bishops and Diva at the Met and Kelowna’s Fresco Restaurant, now RauDZ Regional Table.
Mark is a brilliant chef — he’ll pot-steam a sablefish filet and serve it with a local corn fritter and a leek and Saltspring Island mussel chowder. He serves his peppercorn-crusted flat iron steak with a Bordelaise sauce and buttery fork-mashed potatoes and each Thursday night the team spit roasts local, naturally-raised meats. In every case Chef Filatow can tell you exactly which wine will make your tastebuds dance with joy.
Waterfront Restaurant & Wine Bar has garnered Awards of Excellence from the Wine Spectator every year since 2006 and in 201o was named the Best Okanagan Restaurant in the Vancouver Magazine Awards. This is a major accomplishment since the Okanagan has a cadre of some of the best chefs on the continent. However, if you read the menu below, you’ll understand why.
Canada Food Day August 4th 2012
Crispy Kamloops Trout
Foraged Purslane, Wood Sorrel and Wild Spinach
Housemade Chorizo from Kootenay Alpine Whey Fed Berkshire
Cucumber and Tomato Ceviche Vinaigrette
Spit Roasted Okanagan’s Finest Striploin
Black Raven Farms’ Early Corn Succotash
Housemade Sweet Mustard
Roasted Claremont Ranch Organic Tomcot Apricots
Arlo’s Elderflower Honey Sabayon
Eldorado Farms’ Lemon Verbena Ice Cream
Facts and Notes;
- All dairy is from Blackwell Dairy Kamloops
- The Berkshire Pig for the Chorizo came from Kootenay Alpine Cheese Co. and the pig was raised on whey from
their Cheese production. Local Pimente D’Espelette and garlic round out the flavours.
- All Eggs are from Springhill Farms in Westbridge
- All herbs are from the Chef’s backyard a.k.a Eldorado Farm
- All of the ‘wild greens’ were foraged in the Mission Area
- Arlo’s places a few bee hives near Mission Creek and are lucky to capture some honey that is ripe with flavours of the nearby Elderflower bushes.
- The Striploin was dry aged for us by Mission Meats
- The Bread served this evening is made from 50% local red fife and the starter was originated from Stoney Paradise’s grapes, the same farm where the tomatoes are from.
This menu was written and paired by
Chef/Sommelier Mark Filatow and Restaurant Chef Wayne Morris
It will be served and prepared by the
Waterfront Restaurant Food and Beverage Team who are all Canadian and care damn it!
Waterfront Restaurant & Wine Bar is one of about 250 restaurants that celebrate Food Day across Canada. Contact them at the number below to reserve a table.
Waterfront Restaurant & Wine Bar est l’un des 250 restaurants à travers tout le Canada qui participent au Journée des terroirs. Contactez Waterfront Restaurant directement, au numéro ci-dessous, afin de faire votre réservation.
Waterfront Restaurant and Wine Bar
104 – 1180 Sunset Drive,
Kelowna, BC, V1Y 9W6
T: 250 979 1222