Saskatoon Berry Pie
- 3 to 4 cups (750 mL to 1 L) saskatoons
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tapioca or flour
Canola Oil Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) cold 1% milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola margarine
Combine Saskatoons, lemon juice, sugar and tapioca in a large bowl. Arrange Saskatoon mixture in unbaked pie shell. Cover with top crust. Bake for 15 minutes at 425°F (220°C), then reduce heat to 350 °F (180 °C) and bake for 35 minutes. Yield: enough for one pie.
Sift together flour, sugar and salt. In a small bowl, beat milk into canola oil with fork until frothy. Form a well in flour mixture. Add canola oil mixture and combine gently with a fork until crumbly. Pat in pie plate as you would for graham wafer crust. Add filling and bake according to filling recipe.
Optional Topping: Combine flour, sugar and canola margarine. Crumble together until
mixture is the size of bread crumbs.
Yield: 2 shells (9 inches) or 1 pie shell (9 inches) and top (8 slices per shell).
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.