Mixed Berry, Cucumber and Mint Salad with Lime Dressing
Strawberries and cucumbers have a natural affinity because the mild flavor and crunch of a cucumber partners perfectly with sweet, tender strawberries. Other contrasting flavors and textures come from fresh mint, honey mustard and lime zest. Canola oil allows these flavors to shine. The dressing has just four ingredients, so it’s easy to make any weeknight.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lime zest
- 2 Tbsp (60 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey mustard
- 2 cups (500 mL) hulled and quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh blackberries
- 1 medium cucumber, quartered lengthwise, seeded and chopped into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 2 Tbsp (10 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 4 large butter or Bibb lettuce leaves
In large bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Add strawberries, blackberries, cucumber and mint, tossing to coat.
Arrange lettuce leaves on individual plates. Spoon strawberry mixture onto lettuce leaves and serve.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1 cup (250 mL) strawberry mixture with dressing, 1 lettuce leaf.
Tips: Strawberries and black pepper work well together. For added flavor, put 1/4 tsp ground black pepper in the dressing. The strawberries and blackberries can be swapped for other fruits – try raspberries and blueberries for variety. To make this a complete meal, add grilled or roasted chicken breast or grilled or steamed shrimp. And for a more savory version of the salad, add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or whole green onions.
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.