- 1 lb (500 g) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 19 oz (475 g) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) green lentils, cooked or canned
- 10 oz (250 g) can whole mushrooms, drained
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
In a heavy skillet, brown beef with onion and garlic. Drain off excess fat. Add tomato sauce, lentils, mushrooms, water, chili powder and pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, one hour.
Add vinegar and simmer 15 minutes.
Makes 5-6 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Canadian Lentils.