Winter Pear Clafouti
Canada’s great pear crop lasts, with proper storage, till mid-winter. For this dish we like the rough-skinned Bosc. It’s a simple, egg-rich dessert so easy that even youthful bakers can whip it up.
- 2 tsps (10 m L) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) + 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 – 4 large Bosc pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) homogenized milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping (35%) cream
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 tsp (1 mL) almond extract
Generously butter a 10″ pie plate or flan pan. Add the 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar and tap to distribute it over the bottom and sides of the pan. Arrange the pears in concentric circles in the pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour and salt. Whisk together eat together the eggs, s milk, cream, vanilla and almond extract; whisk in the flour mixture till well-blended. Pour over the pears and bake in a pre-heated 350’F (180’C) oven till the centre is and the pears are tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Serve as is with fresh fruit or with additional whipped cream.
Serves 6 – 8.