Summer Black Cherry Clafoutis
The recipe for a black cherry clafoutis is easy and very forgiving. The buttermilk adds another layer of flavour and it’s really quite spectacular. Please use only Canadian black cherries…our growers need our support because tons are shipped in before our season can begin and are grown with way fewer rules.
- 3 cups (750 ml) whole black cherries
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soft unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (125mL) granulated sugar (second amount)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- ½ cup (125 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 /2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- Icing sugar, as needed for dusting
Add the cherries to they’re sort of evenly spaced. Don’t worry too much as they float around a bit in the batter.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla till foamy. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt . Pour over the cherries and bake in a preheated oven for 40 – 50 minutes or till puffy and lightly browned.
Remove from the oven, let cool for about 10 minutes before dusting with icing sugar and serving.
Makes about 6 – 8 servings.