Spicy Barbecue Sauce
My recipes often have stories and this one sure does. I flew across from Prince Rupert on a huge Sikorski helicopter and landed at Langara Lightstation where, at that time, the Brunn family were the lighthouse keepers. Ken loved to grill things, especially salmon.
This is a modified version of his favourite grilling sauce. It’s really easy and not in the least fancy….all the ingredients had to be storable in a lighthouse larder. For a large batch, just double the recipe.
- 3/4 (175 mL) cup corn syrup
- 1/2 (125 mL) cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ginger powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot sauce (your fave)
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, grated
Measure the ingredients into a glass jar and shake them really well. Refrigerate about an hour before you slather it into your burgers or ribs.
Makes about 1 1/4 cups (310 mL)