Skillet Quinoa with Black Beans, Cilantro and Feta
This quick and easy dish is a made-to-order meal for everyday athletes. Quinoa, a gluten-free whole grain, and black beans supply athletes with carbohydrates, fiber, protein and other nutrients that help produce energy, restore cells and replenish nutrient stores. Canola oil keeps saturated fat to a minimum and lets the fresh ingredients shine.
For a fully vegetarian version, replace feta with vegan cheese or tofu. Leftovers? Add quartered grape tomatoes, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a bit more cilantro for an easy meatless entrée.
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced onions
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) uncooked quinoa
- 1 can (15 oz/426 mL) reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
In large, non-stick skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper. Sauté 5 minutes or until onions begin to brown on edges, stirring occasionally. Add water and quinoa. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat, cover and cook on medium-low for 12 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Remove from heat, stir in beans, walnuts, chili powder, feta, cilantro, garlic and salt. Cover and let stand 2 minutes to heat through and absorb flavors.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving Size: 1 cup (250 mL).
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 360 mg
Carbohydrates 31 g
Fibre 7 g
Protein 10 g
Recipe Courtesy of Canola Info