- 3/8 cup (90 mL) olive oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) onions, fine dice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) garlic, minced
- 2¼ cups (560 mL) crushed tomatoes
- 2¼ cups (560 mL) fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) parsley, fine chop
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oregano, dry
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 basil leaves, fine chop
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 3 cups (750 mL) lentils, cooked
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil on medium in a large saucepan. Add onions and garlic; cook until translucent. Add all other ingredients except lentils, basil, honey, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for one hour, until sauce thickens.
Makes 12-16 servings.