Brussels Sprout, Blueberry and Walnut Slaw
The nutrient-rich ingredients in this delicious slaw make it a smart choice for athletes. Brussels sprouts and blueberries are an excellent source of antioxidants and phyto-nutrients, helping to support a strong immune system. Also, walnuts and canola oil are among the top 10 food sources of plant-based omega-3 fat, and may help protect the heart.
To thinly slice Brussels sprouts, put them in a food processor fitted with the slicing attachment or cut thinly with a knife as you would coleslaw.
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed, thinly sliced or shredded (not grated)*
- 1/4 cup (45 mL) chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried blueberries
- 2 1/2 Tbsp (35 mL) canola oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp (35 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL ) crushed red pepper flakes
In medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving Size: 3/4 cup (175 mL).
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 160 mg
Carbohydrates 16 g
Fibre 4 g
Protein 3 g
Recipe Courtesy of Canola Info.