Chives Canadian Bistro, Halifax
Chef Craig Flinn and his talented team are known across Canada for their dedication to the food of the Atlantic region, most specifically Nova Scotia. Craig’s book, Fresh and Local, published in 2009, is just an extension of that dedication.
Although he has a degree from St. Mary’s University in Geography, he passion is food – local food. He graduated from the Culinary Institute of Canada in P.E.I. while apprenticing with Chef Michael Smith.
His apprenticeship continued over the next 4 years throughout Europe, Canada, and the U.S., most notably at the famous Savoy Hotel in London, England.
On December 4th, 2001, Craig opened Chives Canadian Bistro and has never looked back. He’s received dozens of accolades not only from the media but as a ‘Local Food Hero” which he definitely is.
Chives’ menus are based on seasonal produce from local farmers, artisan cheese and meat producers, and sustainable seafood. When Craig began cooking, the phrase “Canadian bistro” was an oxymoron. Today he is still pointing the way and whenever there’s a Slow Food gathering or a Chefs Congress, you can bet Craig Flinn will be there. And while Craig’s on the road, or even when he’s present at the stoves, his sidekick, Chef Darren Lewis who is Corporate Operations Manager holds the food fort. Like Craig, Darren started somewhere else. In his case it was in Political Science and History.
Chives is such a happening restaurant Craig has appointed two guys as Chef de Cuisine….Scott Tannahill and Jameson Braun. Craig works closely with them, and their influences are profound in the current, very creative menus. From the pan-seared Quebec foie gras with caramelized valley apples and ice cider ‘pearls’ to Chives signature asparagus & lobster risotto, the menus taste as good as they read.
A few kudos:
- “Best New Restaurants in Canada”, “En Route Magazine”, 2003-04.
- 2 stars in “Where to Eat in Canada” 2006 to present;
- Named in “The Top 100 Restaurants in Canada”, Wine Access Magazine, 2006-08;
- “Best Restaurant in Halifax”, The Coast 2006-07;
- “President’s Citation Award”, Nova Scotia Association of Chefs and Cooks, 2007
- “Best Chef in Halifax”, The Coast 2008 and 2009;
- “Local Food Hero” Award, N.S. Department of Agriculture and Select N.S., 2009
- Taste of Nova Scotia “Prestige Award” for Best Cuisine in Nova Scotia, 2009;
- “Best Fine Dining Restaurant in Halifax” in The Coast 2010
Contact Chives Canadian Bistro at the number below to reserve a Food Day Canada table.
Contactez Chives Canadian Bistro directement, au numéro ci-dessous, afin de faire votre Journée des terroirs réservation.
Chives Canadian Bistro
1537 Barrington Street
Halifax, NS B3J 1Z4
T: 902 420 9626